Best way to select career
Too many choices are not always good, especially when it comes to picking your career. Use these soul-searching questions to decide which path is right for you.
Choosing the right career can be difficult, but having a defined career direction will help you with getting a job. But with a little hard work, some planning, and some serious self-reflection, you can set yourself on a path towards a fruitful, fulfilling career that can provide for you and your family.
Remember in these Points to consider while choosing a career
• Consider your dream career : There is an old saying that if you’re trying to choose a career, you should think about what you would do if you didn’t have to work. If you had a million dollars and you could do anything, what would you do? Your answer to that question, while maybe not literally the best career choice for you, may give you insight into what you should do.If you want to be a music star, consider going into audio engineering or music composition. These careers are easier to pursue and you will be much more likely to succeed and provide for yourself in the future. If you want to be an actor, consider going into media broadcasting. You can get a degree in communications or work your way up the chain of command in a local news or other television studio. If you want to travel the world, consider becoming an airline steward or stewardess. This is a great way to make a living and pursue your dream of traveling the globe.
• Consider your hobbies : It is very easy to turn your hobbies or something you love doing into a future career. Many hobbies correspond to real world needs and positions. Consider what you like to do and how that might fit into a career. For example, if you like playing video games, consider becoming a video game designer, programmer, or QA specialist. If you like drawing or art, consider becoming a graphic designer. If you like sports, consider going into teaching and getting certified as a coach.
• How Paying is the Career: In other words, what are the monetary benefits that you are going to derive from the career, since this is going to be your livelihood and means of sustenance? This option ranks very high in the youngsters between age group of 16 and 35.
• Job or work Satisfaction: This aspect is often not realized by the students who do not have any work experience and it is only later on in life when they find that the work they are doing does not satisfy them mentally or is not suited to their liking for whatever reason.
• Aptitude: While one may wish to become an actor , but does not possess the requisite acting skills, then it is foolhardy to try for such a career, since you will not only waste a lot of time and money, but would not be able to perform well and achieve your goal. Though this should not be taken as discouragement, however it is often best to have a fair opinion about your skills from someone close or even a trained psychologist, who may help you in choosing the best career from the available career option
• Liking: This is one aspect which is often weighed down while comparing with other aspects and it is only later in life, normally during the 40's that one realizes and wants to switch over to a totally different career of one likes. Often this happens because the career of your choice is not highly paying or at the time of your choice that particular career is in demand, but later on the things change and you find yourself stuck with a career that is not in demand but also not to your liking.
• Choosing your friends Career: This mistake is often made by students who are often influenced by their friends and how they advice them and consequently start their studies in a particular stream and only to change after a year or so due to reasons such as degree of difficulty in understanding the subject or not finding it interesting. Hence one should try to stick to one thing, not taking in consideration whether one's friends are going in for a stream, but what he or she is interested in. Changing streams later is not a good option, even though it has to be done, if it has to be done.
• Choosing a Career of your Parents Choice: Both parents and their children seem to be confused. Eventually, there is a conflict of interest. Even though in today's world , parents are being open minded and exploring more and more options, majority is still suffering from the same problem, and that is, "One day my child will become a doctor, an engineer, a scientist, or a lawyer". Majority of parents follow this rule, not realizing that their children cannot if they cannot. It’s not everybody's cup of tea to pursue one of these professions if they can't.
• Leading a Balanced life: Also, in today's world, studies are not the only thing there is in one's life. Studies are important, but so are co-curricular activities. One must do well in sports too, if he or she is to do well in life by maintaining a balanced one. Having a balanced life is also important, for the sake of studies. If one attains balance in life, nothing becomes impossible for that person. A good frame of mind is important to succeed in life.